Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pleasing summer view

It has finally cooled off (!) to 89 F from a high of 99 F today. I was doing a few chores in the yard and checked on my herb garden. I planted lavender on a whim last year. I wasn't sure if it would make it through the winter. It did sprout back up and is blooming right now. I've always hated the smell of lavender, but after smelling this, I realized I had never smelled real lavender. What I hated was the smell of synthetic, overly sweet and powdery lavender fragrance in body lotion and bath soap. Fresh lavender is amazing! The honeybees seemed to agree as well. There were at least 8 fat bumblebees dancing around my two little lavender plants, eating up that tasty nectar. If they are part of a formal hive someplace, some honey farmer will be pleased with the lavender honey these little workers are soon to be producing.

No comments: